CAS with "Single Core"
In CAS, I used to bind certain processes to certain cores in more than 10 yrs ago.  But I only knew there are "TSC" and "HPET" in the clocksource until I found SnakeOil OS in 5 yrs ago.  Since then I spent quite a lot of time to compare their influence in sound, even all the time I really like the sound of HPET in my system.

Until few months ago, I found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Stamp_Counter  
[Image: Whats-App-Image-2024-09-20-at-14-28-16-9554e4a7.jpg]

Being an IT layman, I limited the active CPU cores to 1 core in CMOS setup. (not to mention those disabling the hyperthreading, stepping steps, power management, virtualization and etc essential steps in CAS)  And also switching the clocksource to "TSC".  Numerically, the system latency of TSC from cyclic test is already 5-10 times lower than HPET.  And over these few months manually monitoring the result of cyclic test, I'm surprised that the system latency is very very stable, no spike or ugly large value at all, never.  (please excuse me that I didn't screen cap all the results)

How about the sound? Tone, focus, density, dynamics, smoothness, presentation, dimensions of sound stage, & etc changed a lot.  Among them the change in density and smoothness are the most obvious.  As so many aspects are changed, the speakers are inevitably relocated to match the change.  Afterwards, it gives me a whole new experiencer in my home.  Now the music is even more enjoyable and holographic.

So... how about the HPET sound in my "single core" system?  It's a bit like the sound of brass conductor (TSC) vs silver conductor (HPET).   But a bit "disturbing" to me.

It doesn't cost you a coin, but it really takes time to compare and set up. Shy
[-] The following 1 user Likes hkphantomgtr's post:
  • vinaymoturi

(30-Sep-2024, 01:52 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Hi, very happy to see this post.
Can u guide us to setup our system. I am using intel nuc i3 8th generation. Followed guidance given by forum members but unable to get HPET option.

thank you

In CAS, I used to bind certain processes to certain cores in more than 10 yrs ago.  But I only knew there are "TSC" and "HPET" in the clocksource since I found SnakeOil OS in 5 yrs ago.  Since then I spent quite a lot of time to compare their influence in sound, even all the time I really like the sound of HPET in my system.

Until few months ago, I found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Stamp_Counter  

Being an IT layman, I limited the active CPU cores to 1 core in CMOS setup. (not to mention those disabling the hyperthreading, stepping steps, power management, virtualization and etc essential steps in CAS)  And also switching the clocksource to "TSC".  Numerically, the system latency of TSC from cyclic test is already 5-10 times lower than HPET.  And over these few months manually monitoring the result of cyclic test, I'm surprised that the system latency is very very stable, no spike or ugly large value at all, never.  (please excuse me that I didn't screen cap all the results)

How about the sound? Tone, focus, density, dynamics, smoothness, presentation, dimensions of sound stage, & etc changed a lot.  Among them the change in density and smoothness are the most obvious.  As so many aspects are changed, the speakers are inevitably relocated to match the change.  Afterwards, it gives me a whole new experiencer in my home.  Now the music is even more enjoyable and holographic.

So... how about the HPET sound in my "single core" system?  It's a bit like the sound of brass conductor (TSC) vs silver conductor (HPET).   But a bit "disturbing" to me.

[-] The following 1 user Likes vinaymoturi's post:
  • alex87

(04-Oct-2024, 12:11 PM)vinaymoturi Wrote:
(30-Sep-2024, 01:52 PM)hkphantomgtr Wrote: Hi, very happy to see this post.
Can u guide us to setup our system. I am using intel nuc i3 8th generation. Followed guidance given by forum members but unable to get HPET option.

thank you

In CAS, I used to bind certain processes to certain cores in more than 10 yrs ago.  But I only knew there are "TSC" and "HPET" in the clocksource since I found SnakeOil OS in 5 yrs ago.  Since then I spent quite a lot of time to compare their influence in sound, even all the time I really like the sound of HPET in my system.

Hi, vinaymoturi, I'm using Nuc 10.  To make hpet available, if my memory still serves, please enter cmos/bios setting during boot up, you got to disable all the power management options (those c states and etc), and enable "hpet".

If still can't get hpet shown in snakeoil, I'm afraid posting as many screenshots of your cmos setup menu as you can.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hkphantomgtr's post:
  • vinaymoturi